Hamp Williams Cabin – Past to Present
Prior to 1942, Hamp Williams carried the mail from Warren to Camden on the historic Chicot trail, later called Gaines Landing Road. The only house on that whole route was his father’s, east of Moro Creek in Bradley County. In 1842, the senior Mr. Williams became the first settler on that road west of Moro Creek in the “Coal Springs” community, then part of Dallas County. He chose a site between two springs to build an 18 x 50-foot log structure (see photo) and it remains there today. In 1850, Calhoun County was formed (incorporating his property) and Mr. Williams secured a second land grant in the new county at Chambersville. According to Jim Gray, two generations of the Hamp Williams family resided at that location from 1842 until 1955.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition https://www.etypeservices.com/South%20Arkansas%20SunID643/